A highly successful online and in-store R.C. hobby retailer and wholesaler producing $6 million-plus turnover and strong returns with a qualified team of hobbies enthusiasts. Hobbies Direct comes with systemised business tools, established suppliers, stock management, an advanced but straightforward website, and a reputation for being the best.
Hobbies Direct primarily sell remote control vehicles, including cars, boats, planes, tanks, drones, and all the associated original equipment (O.E.M.), optional and aftermarket parts. A few years ago, an additional range of plastic model kits was added to the product range, and sales are growing. An R.C. car repair service is also available at $80 per hour.
The key features of the business are:
• A regular client base of 600+ customers per week and 32,000 registered website users. 77% of 2021 sales come from online orders in N.S.W., V.I.C., and QLD.
• The most extensive range of hobby products in Australia of 25,000+ SKUs
• A unique, in-house developed eCommerce store that is considered the best in the industry and very difficult to replicate
• Excellent industry reputation and social proof provided by customer-focused staff and business model
• Low rent costs compared to competitors
• Streamlined in-house software and systems developed by software developers over the years
• Fantastic long-term working relationships with suppliers
• 4,796 Facebook followers, 78 Reviews, 4.9 Stars and 2,702 followers on Instagram
• 493 Google Reviews and 4.9 Stars
• 1.3 million YouTube views and 8.3 thousand subscribers with income generated from advertising
• Excellent working environment, as employees are enthusiasts, they have extensive product knowledge, enjoy working, and conveniently yields low staff churn
• Original product data – most competitors copy manufacturers’ product data which is inconsistent and rarely intended for Australian retail consumers. This provides customers with a better experience and helps the search engine rank higher
• In-house copywriters who write title descriptions and add additional data points not publicly available online, e.g., Useful measurements of the product. In-house photographers have shot, edited, and uploaded thousands of product photos
What makes the business successful?
Hobbies Direct has been built with a clear goal of offering R.C. hobbyists a better online shopping experience. Over time it has achieved this through developing an extensive product range, scalable systems, and excellent customer service. As a result, the business has enjoyed healthy year on year growth with a promising future.
The business has established marketing utilising in house activities and outsourced Google Ads and SEO. The YouTube channel helps bring in customers and increase brand reputation and loyalty. After recently monetising the channel, it has returned $1,000 through ads. The in-house studio staff plan and write scripts, gather required items and tools, record segments, and edit video segments. Videos created include “Action Playlists” and “How To”.
In addition, word of mouth drives new sales, thanks to an excellent longstanding reputation. Customers have been recommending Hobbies Direct to friends and family for years with 5 stars on popular forums and Facebook pages.
Hobbies Direct is an established eCommerce business that offers significant returns and opportunities to grow further, ideal for an investor or buyer looking for expansion. A proper handover period and support can be arranged to ensure a smooth transition.
Complete your online enquiry for a confidential discussion with the lead broker and receive a comprehensive Business Profile and Market Review.
Finn Business Sales
Geelong and South West Victoria
(03) 5259 9970
Broker: Ashley Brimacombe
0417 805 438